Let’s table it for turkey day! Ten timeless quick tricks and where to begin from start to finish. Travel along with 3P as we guide our friend and reader Lizette, as she joins the team to design and decorate her home. Ever thought: Where do I start when it comes to seasonal flair, Thanksgiving table-scapes, and making a home a creative and cozy abode for the holidays? Lizette has company coming so Practically Perfect Planner stopped in first to transition and teach our “frieder”on how to begin.
1. Take Inventory: We decided this year that the decor budget would be spent on classic essentials that can be transitioned for other year round entertaining. Since this was a first for having Thanksgiving in her home, this was an optimal opportunity to share seasonal beginnings.
2. Theme: We got a feel for Lizette’s lifestyle and identified that their love for the outdoors was the perfect place to start. Fishing, hunting, gaming and equestrian elements are this family’s focus. So bringing nature indoors were essential elements in adding decor that was easily integrated to her existing cozy style.
3. We began by scouting for a table cloth, and Sur La Table provided a luxurious linen tablecloth that would act as our canvas and create a timeless staple for any tablescape. We added coordinating rustic napkins encased in stunning silver napkin rings. For a playful forest feel, feather place-cards and pheasant table crackers were added, all found at Sur La Table.
4. Know what you have and work around it. This family has exquisite white bone china with silver accents, traditional flatware, and wine goblets that all came to the party. Now all our turkey day table needed was a few friendly creatures our the forest, all found at Pier One…to take center stage.
5. Our door-busters came through with a bang as my visiting sister Tracy hung a fall wreath using our dynamic deer wreath hanger to welcome all. For some pro-polish; an easy bow made of wired burlap fabric, feather picks and furry friends created balance and dimension so that our wreath was the appropriate size for Lizette’s door. By dropping the wreath down a few inches, and adding accessories from Pier One, our seasonal “welcome greeting” was complete.
6. Terrific touches throughout: Lizette was so excited in anticipation for all of the autumn home additions, that she and her husband George planned a festive fall gathering for friends a week before Thanksgiving. Which will feature a menu from forest to table.
7. Courses will include Roasted Rabbit, fresh caught fish ceviche, vension specialties, and more. We are on the invite list and can’t wait! The table is set, the menu is planned, and all that is needed now are a few finishing touches. An array of perfect pumpkins and gourds adorn the butcher block…surrounding an existing bouquet of fresh fall florals.
8. A Simple Kitchen Centerpiece: Fall-tastic tea towels were purchased not only for use in the kitchen, but pulled double duty as anchors for simple DIY decor. By using a terracotta pot with it’s lid placed on top, we were able to bring fall to the kitchen table by filling the top with assorted gourds and pumpkins, and adding a candle with a touch of rustic ribbon. Borrowed tea-light holders grounded with Lizette’s color coordinated coasters created balance.
– Bathroom beauties: Adding turkey table-scatter, a scented candle + soap, autumn themed picks, and a few feathers to Lizette’s bathroom basket brought a bit of thanks, even to the bathroom! LOL
9. Mantels + Candles: the mantle received a fall-facelift with a festive spray found at Michael’s (for under $9), adorned with additional gourds, forest friends and feathers. Simple touches can make a big difference!
Pier One provided deliciously scented candles, which Tracy anchored with felt fall foliage and dolled up with just the right amount of feathery fun to welcome guests from the living room, to the dining room.
10. Event Box Started with a plan: The key to creating holiday happenings with little stress, is to always stay organized. With all of these new beauties under her belt, Lizette’s Fall event box will be brimming with everything she needs to transition into Christmas, and be prepared for next year! Keeping everything neatly stored and at the ready in a clean and covered container…creates go-to party plans in a snap.
From the entire 3P team, THANK YOU LIZETTE (and her gorgeous gal Onnie)!! We had way too much fun getting the house Thanksgiving ready, and can’t wait to enjoy a beautiful fall get together with you + hear how much your guests enjoy Thanksgiving in your warm and welcoming home.