Tired of brown bagging it? Try the new craze sweeping the lunch box nation! Bento Boxes! Nothing more than reusable, convenient containers to change things up. 3P is sharing 10 unique items for lunch to please the pickiest eaters + printables to say “Love You” at lunch time! The most important thing about making a bento is to make it with love! What the heck is bento, you ask? The simplest definition of bento is that it is the Japanese word for a boxed lunch. A lunch that is packed bento-style contains a variety of different types of foods: carbs, protein, fruits, veggies and sometimes a small treat. The foods are selected to provide a balance of colors, flavors and textures to delight even the fussiest in your family!
You can go all out when packing a Bento Box. Even make exquisite food art that looks like cartoon characters or animals using cookie cutters. Today 3P wants to introduce nifty and nutritious Bento Boxes made easy…something your average parent is going to throw together on Monday morning! Announcing that a Japanese secret box will uncover a unique mid-day surprise will encourage children, maybe even teenagers…to be excited about lunch!
And packing it, is a cinch! Arrange sandwiches cut in 4’s, small veggies like baby carrots, celery sticks, or grape tomatoes with fruits like berries or grapes, and a fresh dip like yogurt, ranch dressing or hummus. You can also build your own healthy lunchable with layers of crackers, deli meat, and cheese…but without all the added preservatives, sodium, sugars, etc.
10 Unique Takes on Lunch to Please Even the Pickiest Eaters!
1. Include small yet protein packed items like hard boiled eggs!
2. Does your child love the puckery sourness of dill pickles? Pack a few mini pickles.
3. Are they digging Breakfast smoothies right now? Fill up a shaker cup with kid friendly choices packed on ice!
4. Would you like s’more? 😉 Add graham crackers, marshmallows, and chocolate peanut butter for quick s’mores on the go.
5. Need to eat their veggies? Colorful radishes, mini sweet peppers, or crunchy broccoli and cauliflower florets are great way to add color AND important vitamins to the mix! Include a dip for dunking…like our 3P Favorite: Bolthouse Farms Yogurt Dressing!
6. Pack a picnic box with leftover roasted chicken, pasta salad, and a bag of berries!
7. Going gluten free? Layer cheese and favorite cold cuts with rice crackers! The perfect fit, and just right for gluten free goodies!
8. Tired of yogurt dips? Try sugar-free caramel dip and apples. Like a trip to the county fair at lunch time!
9. Make a movie box: pack popcorn, mini hot dogs or “Lil Smokies” from the deli section, and some trail mix with m&m’s!
10. Buenos dias! Greet lunch time mexican style: a small bean burrito, with chips and salsa dip, plus fresh papaya will do the trick!
Be sure to add a little love-note courtesy of 3P! Sometimes your youngin’ may need a tiny bit of encouragement for the day to be reminded that they’re awesome, loved, and to think outside the bento…err…box! 🙂 Download your own lunchbox printables HERE and HERE! You can Glue dot them right to the top of your box.
You can grab awesome and affordable Bento Box style reusable containers from your local market on the cheap. Fresh and Easy has a selection of boxes and utensils above their frozen veggies. This week, many grocers have their plastic-ware on sale for 50% off, we picked a few up at Albertsons. You can also order online from sites like www.resuseit.com.
…who says lunch has to be no fun? Send in your best back to school lunch ideas for a chance to win a Bento Box of your very own! Share a comment below, or post to Facebook!