With Thanksgiving right around the corner, I went to my friend Jen’s to drop something off. I took a peek at my friend’s traditional dining area and the table was half set. So, I said to Jen; “Do you want me to finish this for you?” Jen replied, “No, I have to start over because I picked up some unique glass sculptures and I want those to be the focus. Big surprise, I replied, “Jen, your initial plan is beautiful + traditional with items your family loves and are memories. We can easily integrate the new pieces in, ground them and then you have the best of both worlds!”
Jen graciously allowed me play with all of her Fall decor, and simply said; this is what we came up with in less then 30 minutes!
Some quick “event basics” for setting a table that reflects your taste and yet is memorable:
1. Gather all items (including plates and silverware) and stage them close by on a table. (I like to bring out a portable table, so I can quickly see what I have.)
2. Choose a neutral tablecloth that acts as a backdrop to your tablescape.
3. Place charger plates (if you have them, use a contrasting color to the tablecloth), add plates and silver. It’s ok to alternate with coordinating items if you’re having a large group for dinner. This usually adds a creative look!
4. Now work on the centerpiece and table decor.
– choose a few items to showcase
– look around your home and find an item to use to add dimension by lifting items off of the table. We found a glass plate on a pedestal in Jen’s kitchen that was a practically perfect way to transition the sculptured pumpkins into the traditional decor.
5. Glass beads, stones, and items from Jen’s Fall decor box (can you tell we’ve been friends for a long time?) acted as a fun and unique table runner to ground everything together.
While we were selecting pieces for the table, one of the great things I got to experience with my friend was hearing the history behind each item, special stories, and the moments that truly made this table meaningful. Thanksgiving is a time when friends and family gather, so remember that yes, your table sets the mood, but more importantly your love and friendship is why everyone has gathered.
Wishing you a Blessed and Happy Thanksgiving,
Practically Perfect Planner
You manage to put me in a great Thanksgiving Spirit. Your table decor was amazing, the wonderfull and festive accesories were fun!!! But even more fun is the sharing with a friend the memories of what helped to make that table even more meaningfull.
Great Job and wonderfull Pictures Jessie!!
Good friends, Good Times and Good health!! and a very Happy Thanksgiving