Practically Perfect Planner picked a peck of pretty pepper pockets to please your family for a make-ahead Valentine’s Meal. Gather a bushel of bell peppers with a few other simple and healthy ingredients to create a tasty filling the whole family will love, with minimal effort and yummy results! We prepped 15 pepper pockets in a flash for a Valentine’s themed meeting at home. Here’s how we did it, plus a side salad and sweet brownie dessert plan!
Ingredients for 4 pepper pockets (We had to QUADRUPLE THIS for our group! Lol)
4 large red bell peppers
1 lb lean ground beef
1 bunch chopped green onions
2 cups cooked rice (We used Minute Brown rice)
salt and pepper to taste
1 clove garlic, finely chopped (or a teaspoon or two of crushed garlic)
(1) 8 oz can tomato sauce to pour over top of filling
(1) 8 oz can of diced tomatoes (we like a chunky tomato filling)
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (3 oz)
Directions: (We learned from a touch of trial and error, about pepper pocket baking time…be sure to check on yours for preferred tenderness while baking. Some prefer a crunchier pepper, some prefer softer.)
1. Cut thin slice from stem end of each bell pepper to remove top of pepper. Remove seeds and membranes; rinse peppers. If necessary, cut thin slice from bottom of each pepper so they stand up straight.
2. In large skillet, cook beef and green onion over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is brown; drain. Stir in tomatoes, rice, salt, and garlic; cook until hot.
3. Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Stand peppers upright in ungreased 8-inch square glass baking dish. Bake peppers for 5-10 minutes without filling (if you prefer a softer pepper).
4. Stuff peppers with beef and rice mixture, pour tomato sauce over top then cover tightly with foil. Bake 40-60 minutes or until peppers are as tender as you’d like. Uncover, sprinkle cheese on top and bake about 15 minutes longer or until cheese has melted.
Serve with a berry topped simple salad with chopped nuts or sunflower seeds for a vibrant Valentine’s feel…
And of course…this lovely dinner wouldn’t be complete without a berry lovely dessert: try our berry and brownie mini trifles! They were a huge hit last year, and you can bet we’ll be showing a little love and serving them again! Add this recipe to your repertoire HERE!
With your pepper pockets prepped, a sensational salad, and a berry lovely dessert…A Valentine’s dinner full of love for the family is ready ahead of time to enjoy once everyone is around the table. If you missed our Lovescape for the family…take a peek HERE to see how to use paper products to spell out LOVE at dinner time. Enjoy!