In old Italy, “ladies of the night” would make this sauce and place it in their windows at night to lure in “clientele”. 😉 It has since become known as a flavorful and aromatic sauce, using “everything from the cupboard” that can be whipped up completely IN THE MICROWAVE! Can you believe it? It’s flavorful, fast, and despite it’s colorful past…a family favorite for sure! Aunt Tracy loves to serve this tasty dish with shrimp scampi and was kind enough to share with 3P.
Ingredients: (This can be made up to three days ahead!)
1 large can of diced tomatoes
(3) small cans crushed tomatoes
(15) oz jar of manzanilla olives sliced
1 can of black olives sliced
2.5 tablespoons of crushed garlic
15 leaves of basil, chopped
2 packets of sweetener or 1 tbsp sugar
1 jar of drained capers
3 tbsp olive oil
1. Mix all ingredients together in a large microwave safe bowl, cover with plastic wrap and microwave in increments of 10 minutes or so until hot. Serve with hot al dente pasta of your choice…garnish with shredded parmesan and fresh chopped parsley.
Shrimp Scampi: This garlicky shrimp is a perfect pairing with puttanesca sauce!
1.5 bag of frozen shrimp
3 tbsp chopped garlic
1/2 cup white wine
1.5 sticks of butter
juice from 1/2 fresh lemon
1. Reduce scampi sauce on medium heat constantly stirring.
2. When wine is reduced, add thawed shrimp.
3. Sautee until shrimp is fully cooked, simmer for about 5 minutes.
Serve with a fresh salad and crusty bread…This is a beautiful dish to serve for company, or even just a quick dinner with the family…we love the briny flavor of olives in the sauce! It’s become a special request for Aunt Tracy to make every time she visits, and we hope it will become a much-requested meal for your family too! Buon Appetito!