This midweek meal and preferred potluck casserole allows you to dish up dinner on the go, and will soon become a go-to for your family! Shhh….don’t tell the kids: It’s hearty and healthy too with brown rice plus additional veggies and white meat chicken…it’ll fool them for sure! This has been in our family forever, and when whipped up for a gathering…even the pickiest eaters will happily chow down. They may even ask for it BY NAME on their next visit!
Ingredients: Serves 6-8
– 3 cups 10 minute brown rice
– 2 cups diced boneless skinless cooked chicken (We like using leftover rotisserie chicken)
– about 6 cups chicken broth or stock
– 2 cups sliced mushrooms
– 1 packet onion soup mix
– 8 tablespoons lower sodium soy sauce
– 1/2 cup olive oil
– 1 cup diced celery
– 1 cup diced scallions
– a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce
– garlic powder and fresh cracked pepper to taste
1. Add all ingredients to a large roasting pan + mix well.
2. Bake at 350 for one hour, tightly covered/wrapped in foil, stir occasionally…re-covering each time.
3. Fluff with a fork when ready to serve.
Serve with a salad, as a side-dish or a main course…you can even freeze it for later. This chicken bake certainly does “rice above the rest”.